Wednesday, April 04, 2007

PROCESSION OF CANDELARIA IN GUATEMALA CITY

This is the procession in which we participate. This is in Guatemala city, these pictures are from last year, and this is one of the largest processions in Guatemala, it leaves the Church at 7:00 a.m. in the morning and then goes back at midnight (a little after midnight), they have 120 man bearer's at one time, and each person can only carry Jesus ONE time, since there are a lot of people who wait for one whole year for the procession, and still some of them don't get the chance because for example they don't buy their turn on time (yes, you do have to buy your turn 2 months in advanced). Each turn lasts about 10 minutes or less and they go for 121 blocks, all day long.

The music you'll be listening at is one of the Processional Marches that follow the pace of the images...

I of course participate in the procession of La Virgen de Dolores, and we are all dressed in white...I'll show those pictures on the next post.


4 comments:

LouLou said...

Maria,
My husband Andrew and I just watched the video. I am so thankful that you are educating us all on Easter in Guatemala. I would love to come there for Holy Week one year. It looks wonderful. Will you email me again, and give me some information about staying at the Inn...the cost and types of rooms. Also, if you know somewhere nice that isn't too expensive I would love to hear about it.

Thanks,
Lou
lou0728@yahoo.com

Dominick's Mommy said...

I love your pictures and your country. Thanks so much for sharing with us.
Lynn

Dominick's Mommy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Kya's Nana, Cyrina says: Oh Maria!! Thank you for sharing this with us. It really moves my heart. I do wish we could be there with you for this occasion--maybe someday our wish will come true! Be Blessed and know how much we love you and PePe. hugs & kisses!