Monday, April 02, 2007

PALM SUNDAY

In Guatemala's case, Palm Sunday is filled with joy and color; the palms blessed at church come from the west coast and they are called Palma REal (royal palm) or Menaca.

During Semana de Dolores (the week before Holy Week), in the departments of Escuintla, Suchitepéquez, Quetzaltenango and the mountains of Sacatepeéquez, Palma Real leaves are cut and "the palms" are elaborated. These are decorated with cohune flowers and those that are characteristic of the Lent period, like purple estaticias or red with white carnations.

Sellers of these products, collect the palms and arrive on Saturday evening at the diferent churches of the city; this way on Sunday at dawn the faithful can buy them and recieve the blessing during mass. Catholics holding the blessed palm rejoice as they watch the procession go by.



Palms beeing sold infront of la Merced before Mass.

Piña Colada (without liquor) in front of the church, to eat something after Mass.


MaNgoOoOoOo... mmmmmmy favorite...

Pepe eating PoRk tacoooooos in the street....unbelievable!!!


Me, eating PuPuSaS in the steet...even more unbelievable...(these are tortillas with cheese and cabage and red sauce)


Decoration of Holy Week on the windows...actually is different in every house...

This is our decoration!!! isn't that sooo pretty...I did it myself....(nooooooo I'm just kidding)

4 comments:

Candy said...

We Miss you SOSOSOOSO Much...thank you so much for posting these pictures...We love to see Guatemala. I wish I was walking through that Inn door to see you. I am going to tell my friends about your pic's so they can check them out. oh yea you forgot to call me back. Hugs Candy and Kya Blu

Katie said...

Awesome pictures !! It makes me sad that we didn't live in Antigua during Holy Week. :)
Katie Nyblom (sylvias old neighbor )

LouLou said...

Candy told us about your blog, and I have been looking at it for an hour. I LOVE seeing the REAL Guatemala. I am adopting a baby girl and have only been able to see the Marriott. I long to be able to learn about my daughter's country. I am also thinking of living in Antigua after we get out of PGN. I would love to chat with you sometime!

lou0728@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Maria Izabel,

My name is Quincee and I know Candy through her friend Alicia. I found your blog on Candy's page and I am amazed at the celebration and the beautiful pictures you posted from the Holy Week celebration. I am Catholic and they are beautiful. We don't do things like that in the States. I would love to just once see a celebration like that. It is amazing and I am sure very moving and emotional as well. Please keep posting pictures. I would love to see more.

Quincee