Friday, April 06, 2007

HOLY WEEK CARPETS

Antigua Guatemala 2007


For believers, the meaning of elaborating a carpet is to express gratitude for a certain grace or miracle, this becomes a personal obligation from the person towards the worshiped image.

This is a typically catholic tradition that has been transformed in popular art and is spread out through Spain and Latin America. Its origin dates from the XIV century, which consisted on planting the processional path with foliage, rosematy, blue and yellow flowers, and spreading petals (specially from roses and carnations). This costum evolved into the real carpets made of flowers, dyed soil and sawdust we can appreciate today ....

San Francisco, Flowers carpet


These long and extraordinary carpets, typical of Guatemalan popular culture, are part of what is known as ephemeral popular art. They are attached to the Guatemalan's collective memory and are a clear example of religious and cultural syncretism in contemporary Guatemala.


People love using bright colors, to make the best carpet and always keep improving year after year...


Carpets are usually the size of a block here in Antigua, and it takes from 40 minutes to plenty of hours depending on how dificult the disign might be...


I really like the colors of this carpet, and all the cucuruchos around it waiting for the Procession...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found your blog through Candy and Kya's blog. What beautiful pictures!!! Thank you so much for posting these for all of us to see. I look forward to reading your blog.

Ann
home with Elianna Sept.2006

Blessed Mommy said...

Hi Maria Izabel!! I also found your blog thru Candy and Kya's blog. I am in Antigua right now, fostering our twin girls. The carpets that I saw yesterday were beautiful, but it was hard to get around with my double stroller :) So, thanks for posting all the pictures -- very cool to see!!

Jenne said...

Hi Maria Izabel! I found your blog through Candy and Kyas blog. The carpets are beautiful!! How long to they keep them up past Easter? My husband and I will be in Guatemala VISITING our son on THursday! I can't wait! Thanks for sharing your blog.

Take care, Jenne

http://cobyandjenne.blogspot.com/

Candy said...

Hey girl...thanks so much for sharing these pics with all of us herein the USA...I have recieved so many emails about the wonderful pictures on your blog...we LOVE YA...Oh I really want to see a pic of you in you white dress and so does my mom